The Land Transportation Office (LTO) chief, Teofilo Guadiz III, has appealed to the several cities that implement the No-Contact Apprehension Program (NCAP) to suspend the program until the issues are fixed.
In an interview with One Balita Pilipinas, the LTO chief said that he already sent letters to the cities of Manila, Paranaque, Valenzuela, San Juan, and Quezon City, asking them to immediately meet with transport officials to fix the rules in the NCAP that motorists find objectionable and to suspend such issues are ironed out.
“I sent a letter last Friday and I’m giving them three days to respond. If they don’t [comply], I’ll call them directly,” said Guadiz.
The LTO chief added that, if the agency’s request was denied or rejected, he will meet with the Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG) Secretary, Benhur Abalos, to recommend a review and suspension of NCAP.
“We can appeal our request to LGUs with the DILG secretary if in case the LGUs reject it. Maybe, the DILG can refine and suspend the policy in the meantime,” added Guadiz.
Motorists have been complaining over the stiff penalties that are being imposed by the NCAP system.
Last week, a coalition from different transport sectors called for the government to junk NCAP, saying that the inhumane fines, coupled with the confusing traffic policies of different LGUs make the program a big burden to Juan Dela Cruz.