Are you a motorcycle rider who frequents Marilaque? Or a rider that lives on the Eastside? Chances are, you are quite familiar with the long bridge that spans the river in front of SM Marikina. Brace yourselves because starting Saturday, May 4 at exactly 11 PM, the MMDA will start the long-overdue rehabilitation of the said bridge.
“Starting Saturday, May 4 at 11 pm, we are going to close the eastbound portion of the Marcos Bridge [for] the next four months,” said MMDA General Manager Jojo Garcia. The MMDA GM also mentioned that the bridge's rehabilitation was already way overdue, even citing that private contractors have been requesting for a schedule since last year.
The bridge will be rehabilitated in two phases: for the next four months, the MMDA will close and repair the Antipolo-bound side. After the this, private contractors of the Department of Public Works and Highways will then close the Quezon City-bound side for another four months.
For the first four months, vehicles going up to Antipolo coming from Cubao or C5 will take the Cubao-bound side, while vehicles going to Cubao will have to pass by the SM Marikina Service Road. Also, to avoid getting stuck in traffic along with big trailers, dump trucks and the like, it is best to ride during the new truck ban hours of 6 AM-10 AM, updated from the former 7 AM - 10 AM.
To help avoid the expected traffic that this bridge rehab will cause, we list down some alternative routes that were suggested by the MMDA:
Cubao to Antipolo Route:
1. From Cubao, take Aurora Blvd. then A. Boni Flyover, straight ahead on Sumulong Highway to Antipolo
2. From Cubao, take Aurora Blvd. then turn right to Katipunan Ave, turn left to Boni Serrano and take FVR Road straight to Macapagal Bridge, then take Marcos Highway to Antipolo
3. From Cubao, turn right to 15th avenue, then turn left to Boni Serrano, take FVR Road straight to Macapagal Bridge, then Marcos Highway to Antipolo
Antipolo To Cubao Routes
1. From Antipolo, take Sumulong Highway, then A. Bonifacio Avenue, go straight ahead on Aurora Blvd. to Cubao
2. From Antipolo, take Marcos Highway and turn right on Fernando Ave, then take A. Bonifacio Ave. straight ahead on Aurora Blvd. to Cubao
3. From Antipolo, take Marcos Highway then FVR Road, turn right to Katipunan Avenue, turn left to Aurora Blvd., then straight ahead to Cubao
4. From Antipolo, take Marcos Highway, then FVR Road, take Boni Serrano Ave., then turn right to 20th Ave., turn left to Aurora Blvd. to Cubao