The Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) on Thursday announced the closure of the westbound portion of Marcos Bridge in Marikina. According to MMDA General Manager, Jojo Garcia, the westbound portion of the bridge will be closed on Monday, August 26 at exactly 12 noon for repair and rehabilitation. The closure will last for four months. Meanwhile, the eastbound part of the bridge which was closed last May is now open to vehicular traffic.
“After less than three months of repair, motorists going to Antipolo can now utilize the eastbound portion of the bridge,” he said.
Garcia also said that a zipper lane will be opened on the eastbound side for those going out of Marikina due to the larger volume of vehicles, especially during rush hours.
Motorists are advised to take the following alternate routes:
CUBAO TO ANTIPOLO ROUTE:
1. From Cubao, take Aurora Blvd., then turn right to Katipunan Ave., take the Service Road of the Libis Underpass, turn left to Boni Serrano and take FVR Road straight to Macapagal Bridge then Marcos Highway to Antipolo;
2. From Cubao, turn right to 15th Avenue then turn left to Boni Serrano, take FVR Road straight to Macapagal Bridge then Marcos Highway to Antipolo.
TRUCKS FROM CUBAO TO ANTIPOLO ROUTE:
1. From Cubao, take Aurora Blvd., then turn right to Katipunan Ave., take the service road of the Libis Underpass, turn left to Boni Serrano, straight to FVR Road, take Macapagal Bridge then Sumulong Highway to Antipolo.
ANTIPOLO TO CUBAO ROUTES:
1. From Antipolo, take Sumulong Highway, then A. Bonifacio Avenue, straight ahead Aurora Blvd., to Cubao;
2. From Antipolo, take Marcos Highway and turn right to Fernando Avenue, then take A. Bonifacio Ave. straight ahead Aurora Blvd. to Cubao;
3. From Antipolo, take Marcos Highway, take the down-ramp to Marcos Bridge Service Rd., then FVR Rd., turn right to Katipunan Ave., turn left to Aurora Blvd., and straight ahead to Cubao;
4. From Antipolo, take Marcos Highway then FVR Rd., straight-ahead take Boni Serrano Ave., then turn right to 20th Ave., turn left to Aurora Blvd., to Cubao.
TRUCKS FROM ANTIPOLO TO CUBAO ROUTE:
1. From Antipolo, take Marcos Highway then FVR Rd., turn right to Katipunan Ave., turn left to Aurora Blvd., straight ahead to Cubao.
Meanwhile, the closure of the Aurora-Araneta Intersection in Manila will push through on Saturday, August 24, after the contractors encountered technical difficulties. It will close from 11 PM - 5 AM for 7 consecutive nights and will remain passable in the morning. The closure will be implemented to give way to the launching of girders for the Skyway Stage 3 Project. The intersection will fully reopen on Friday, August 30.
Motorists are advised to take these alternate routes:
FOR LIGHT VEHICLES:
1. From Shaw Boulevard/ V. Mapa, go straight towards Magsaysay Blvd. then Santol Street, turn right at Palanza, Landargun or Bayani Road, turn left at G. Araneta to destination and vice versa;
2. Vehicles from Cubao headed towards the Manila area along Aurora Blvd., turn right at Guirayan St., turn left at Palanza, turn left at Tomas Arguelles St. or Santol St. to Magsaysay Blvd. to destination;
3. Vehicles coming from N. Domingo and Blumentritt, take F. Roman, H. Lozada St. and J. Ruiz St.;
4. Vehicles coming from the north: along C-3 Sgt. Rivera, turn right at Bayani, Landargun, or Palanza St., turn left at Santol St., turn left at Magsaysay Blvd., and take V. Mapa, Old Sta. Mesa to destination.
1. From Quezon Avenue, E. Rodriguez Ave., straight towards España Blvd., turn left at Lacson Ave. straight towards Nagtahan to destination (vice versa); or
2. Take Magsaysay Blvd., turn right at V. Mapa to Shaw Blvd. to destination and vice versa.